Sunday, March 8, 2009

Taxe$

Well, LaRue and I had our taxes done this past weekend. And, for the second time since 1977, we have to pay. The first time we had to pay was in 1979. We had a little part time job in 1978 that did not withhold anything and we ended up owing that money. Now with all the kids married and no longer our dependents, along with the fact that there doesn't seem to be anything the average person can use as a deduction anymore, we owe a little bit. I guess I'm going to have to file a new W4 and have some extra money withheld for the rest of this year.

Movie Review:

We rented Changeling over the weekend. It's based on the true story of Christine Collins who discovers her 9 year old son missing and her subsequent fight to get the Los Angeles police to find him. Several thoughts -

First the good:
1. I think it accurately depicts the look and events as they happened in 1928. The film looks authentic.
2. I have no doubt that women were often treated as lesser citizens as portrayed.

Now the bad:
1. I think the film inaccurately depicted law enforcement personnel as all corrupt. I believe that there were then (and I'm sure now) some bad cops. But I also believe that the majority were (and are) decent, honest people.
2. Angelina Jolie's portrayal was NOT Oscar material. She seemed to have one and only one expression throughout the entire movie - distressed mother.

I think the movie would have been better if it had been shorter. It runs 2 hours and 20 minutes. Half an hour could have been cut out and the story might have had more impact. I noticed several points in the latter part of the movie where it could have ended but kept on going.

If you're interested in the events surrounding this particular case I would say rent the dvd - don't bother to buy it; you'll probably only watch it once.

1 comment:

Ruie said...

What an over-rated actress she is.....
The movie was a waste of money and time.