Saturday, January 16, 2010

Movie Reviews

I wanted to add movie poster images to this entry, but I'm getting an error from the host server. Apparently after switching hosting services I need to go change the properties of the image folder to make it write-able. I'm writing this from work and can't get to it until I get home. So, I might add them later.

Movie #1 - Avatar

As I mentioned in the last entry we saw Avatar over the holidays. And we got to see it in 3D which was an awesome visual experience. Unfortunately, the story wasn't. It was extremely predictable. As an example, there's a part of the movie where the main character in his avatar form learns to control and ride one of the big bird creatures. At one point he is flying around on the bird when a bigger, badder bird attacks him. The native girl later tells him that in all their history only 5 of their people have ever ridden one fo the big, bad birds. Guess what? Yep, you knew right then that he would later control and ride the biggest, baddest bird of them all. And what happens to the main character at the end is foretold by what happens to the character played by Sigourney Weaver, although with her it is unsuccessful.

Remember what I said about the story not being very good? It's a rehash of several other James Cameron's films - most notably Dances With Wolves. In Avatar you have a main character who represents the "evil" people who infilbtrates the kind, noble indigenous people and then ends up "going native". Instead of the evil white man (cowboys) from Dances With Wolves it's the evil militaristic big business corporation raping the land of the local clans (DWW's tribes). The political message of the movie is so blatantly obvious.

That being said, if you don't think too deeply, it is a very enjoyable movie. I recommend it. But you have to see it 3D.

Movie #2 - Sherlock Holmes

First LaRue's short critique - stupid.

Me - I really wanted to like this movie, but alas it was not to be. The first major complaint I have is against the theater sound system (although it could have been the mumbling actors). I couldn't understand a majority of the dialog. If there was some smart, witty verbage I missed it. As far as the story goes, I felt it was nothing special; certainly not unique enough to rate all the accolades that movie has been receiving. I would say that if you're really interested - wait for the dvd release and rent it. If you can't wait that long then just prowl the darker corners of the internet and find it there. But to me it wasn't worth the full theater price.

No comments: